Thursday, February 13, 2014

That light was able to shine through the clouds.

By Diana

It was with mixed emotions that I returned to work last week.   With my maternity leave over I was unsure how I would find things when I got back to my residents. Things were pretty sad upon my return when I realized that while I had been away each resident in the care facility had taken a drastic turn in his or her disease. 

I've seen people suffer from Alzheimer's for almost 4 years now. It is the worst disease imaginable. I don't know of any other disease that can rob a person of his soul, other than Alzheimer's. My husband's grandmother passed away earlier this year after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease, and upon her passing the entire family could only feel joy that she was no longer trapped in a body with a brain that couldn't function. When looking into the eyes of someone with this disease I often feel like all I can see are clouds, where very little light is allowed to shine through. 

Last Wednesday was not like any work day I have ever had. The residents are no longer at a level where they can participate in activities that I once used to enjoy doing with them. I used to be able to hold group discussions about things ranging from current events to their favorite foods, but it now seems like any time I try to stand in front of the group, I lose them all, either to sleep, or to their inability to follow the conversation. I always go extremely prepared because I never know what kind of a day it will be. 

On Wednesday I got to work at 10 am, and by 11am I was frantically searching for an activity that they could all participate in. I don't know why, maybe I was prompted by a loving Father in Heaven, I like to think so, but I instantly thought 'they need one on one attention, give them hand massages.' In all the  years I have worked there I have never thought of giving them hand massages. 

Immediately I turned on some classical piano music, got out some lotion and sat in front of each resident individually and rubbed his or her hands. Some were startled initially and asked, "How much is this gonna cost me?" 

"Nothing," I replied, "Absolutely free." 

"Oh that feels so nice. Thank you." 

As I sat with each one, rubbing his or her hands, I noticed something that doesn't happen often. A little of that light I was talking about was able to shine through the clouds. I walked away with a greater understanding of our Savior's love for each of us. Many of these people have lived long hard lives, some of them, I believe, have been in very dark places.  Now as they sit on the threshold of death I know that their Savior still awaits them with open arms. His light remains in each of them, oftentimes hidden by a horrible disease. I can only feel joy for each of them knowing that one day they will be able to shed the weight of this mortal life and once again feel the light of our Savior's love.


John 13:14: If I then, your Lord and aMaster, have bwashed your feet; ye also ought to cwash one another’s dfeet.


How have you felt God's love through your service to others? Has another person's service ever reminded you of God's love for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment