Sunday, May 4, 2014

Essays on Journeys, Part 1: Basic Foundations

By E. B.

Recently, a close, loved one expressed to me the belief that the Lord does not tell us to do the same things He has asked those in the scriptures.

He does. In fact, He tells us almost the EXACT same things. Because the gospel does not change, and neither does His love and knowledge of us.

I find that this is a common belief, both among the religious and the nonreligious. While it is becoming less and less of a challenge for me to question the direction I receive from the Lord, I find that those around me, ranging from the very close to the very distant, struggle to believe I'm not completely insane. Or those who think I am truthful, wonder: why doesn't He talk to ME like that?

The Lord speaks to us as we would understand, and He gives it to us line upon line, precept upon precept. So, here is a list of base-work truths that need to be in place.

1. You have to be willing to ask Him. See James 1:5.

2. You have to believe He will answer. This is a little more complicated to understand, but our dear friend Elder Bednar sheds some light on how really do this in his April 2008 General Conference talk, "Ask in Faith."

3. He doesn't give us things to do that are beyond our capabilities, but a lot of those capabilities are dependent on restraints we have set on our selves. The Lord is not limited to what we say He is, but we are limited when we limit our faith. He doesn't need you to do what He wants, but it is a blessing for you to get a special part in His great big plan---even if that role is not what we consider big or special. You limit yourself when you say no, or when you say it cannot be done.

Tip to the wise: Don't be rude to someone you are asking things from. That is just logic and common sense. Also, note that pain and anger, especially during trials, are understandable--and I would expect the Lord understands who will have what reactions to what life brings. However, He absolutely does not tolerate rebellion.

I say all of this because I am about to embark on a journey that does not necessarily have an end, that began with a question about money. I prayed about it, and while I prepared for this year's April General Conference, I threw it on the list of things I expected/hoped/wanted to get from the meeting.  I am going to California...for the summer...I think. None of it makes a ton of sense, and I don't actually have all the pieces of what the plan is. But because I know, without a doubt that I am embarking to California on a journey of which the Lord is sending me, I go.


For anyone who really wants the exact details, see my next post, entitled "Essays on Journeys, Part 2: The Assignment."

No comments:

Post a Comment