Monday, March 24, 2014

Joy is available to us right now.

By Christian P.

I was listening to NPR the other day and there was a piece about research that had been done on the effects of parenting on parents. As parents, we often talk about the happiness that our children bring us. Yet, this research had failed to find any greater levels of happiness among people with children versus those without. The article goes on to describe a book that explains this phenomenon with the concept that the ‘category’ of happiness parents feel about their children is better described as ‘joy’. “That [feeling] you're feeling when your kid laughs or when your kid says something that's so totally, like, amazingly weird, or insightful, or sensitive — it's not the same as like getting a good laugh out of watching a movie or having a really nice time with a friend.” 

This jives up with my experiences pretty well. I love having my children in my life but I can’t say as that I enjoy every minute of it. There is a lot of time that is tedious, aggravating or frustrating whether it be asking them to get dressed for the 45th time or sweeping up the broken crystal statue of the Washington DC temple that was our wedding cake topper that one of them decided to throw across the room. Yet, I can’t think of anything that I love more than those maniacs or anything that has changed me more for the better.


One of the things we bang on pretty hard as Mormons is the idea that Heavenly Father wants us to be happy. He gives us commandments because He wants to teach us how to be happy, He blesses us because He wants us to be happy, He sent His son Jesus Christ to show us how to be happy. Yet, when I look in the scriptures, I can’t find a reference to our Heavenly Father promising us happiness in his life. There is a lot of talk in the Book of Mormon about the great plan of happiness but it seems to only promise happiness in the next life. Alma promises us:


Alma 40:12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.


Mormon and Mosiah make similar promises concerning a never-ending happiness awaiting those who are faithful. What I do see is a lot of talk about this word ‘joy’.


2 Nephi 2: 25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.


John 15:11 These things  have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.


Alma 26:11 ...I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

The lesson I’m learning is that despite how difficult day to life might be for each of us, despite our own individual trials and challenges, the satisfaction and deep contentment that we call joy is available to us right now. Not everything works out for my immediate enjoyment but I have found enough joy in both family service and church service to bolster my trust in the Lord and know that Heavenly Father really does want me to have joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment