Tuesday, March 4, 2014

BEING THE GOOD: Lean Into Love

By Wendy K.

This is the second post in a series about "being the good." Read Part 1 here

HOW? How do we BE THE GOOD? Our family has broken this theme down into three areas. It’s become our family mission statement.

#1. Lean into Love

In happy times, in sad times, choose love.

“An old Cherokee told his grandson, “Son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy & truth.” The boy thought about it, and asked, “Grandfather, which wolf wins?” The old man quietly replied, “The one you feed.”

My extended family had an experience last year that caused a lot of drama and pain and hurt feelings. We have reflected on this “wolf” concept. It’s tempting to be angry and bitter, especially when you are hurt. But you don’t heal that way. Good doesn’t win that way. The wolf you feed is the wolf that wins. Feed the good. BE THE GOOD.

Some say there are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. Why not choose it’s all a miracle? It’s hard sometimes... to look on that bright side and see that cup as half full. It can be hard to count your blessings. But it works! It works every time I put it to the test. The best part? It’s contagious.

We started a new practice this year at our dinner table. Each night everyone gets a chance
to share their BEST of the day. “What’s the BEST thing that happened to you today?” My husband often comments this is his favorite part of the day. This is us, focusing on the love, identifying the blessings, feeding the GOOD.

I’m working on saying nice things. How simple does that sound? We often focus on keeping not
nice thoughts to ourselves. That’s important, and I need to work on that too, but what about the other side? I figured I probably only say 10% of the nice things I think about people. No more! If I think it and it’s nice, I try to say it. Shout compliments! Proclaim admirations! Spread love!

Social media is a great tool for this. Send a quick text right when you’re thinking of someone. You give someone a compliment on their wall on Facebook... not only does it bring the person joy, but other people see something GOOD in that person they might not have noticed. This too can be contagious as they can “like” or agree or want to leave a nice thought of their own on that wall or someone else’s. So often social media is a dumping ground. What if we used it as a place to spread GOOD news, spread love, share the gospel?

I like to keep it old school too, by sending cards and letters in the mail. I love mail! Who doesn’t love mail? I kicked off this goal by sending cards to three people (a relative, a family friend and a woman in the ward who I’ve decided is my local Yoda) telling them how something they said or did shaped me, inspired me and how I appreciate them. It’s brought me great joy to BELIEVE the good is out there. To look for GOOD in people and thank them for BEING THE GOOD.

How do you be the good?

No comments:

Post a Comment