Saturday, March 22, 2014

Jessica Simpson explains a gospel truth

By A. W.

I really have not ever understood why Jessica Simpson is a celebrity, but she is and the other day I watched her in a commercial where she stated:

I love this body and what it is capable of.
This body made two amazing little human beings.
This version feels really good.


“I love this body and what it is capable of.” We are taught that we come to earth so to gain a physical body. We understand that this mortal experience is the path to divinity; that the promise of resurrection lies before us because of our Savior’s sacrifice. I, too, love this body and what it is capable of.
Image courtesy of lds.org.

“This body made two amazing little human beings.” The blessing of motherhood is beyond description. I am so grateful for the opportunity to help build bodies for sons and daughters, and then to build a family with them. The promise of an eternal family inspires me to be a better mother and a better person.

“This version feels really good.” Each of us has several versions of ourselves. Some versions of me are not very good; some are incredibly awesome. My choices determine what version of body I have and what version I am working for. The best version of me is the one where I have followed the commandments, and treated my body the way Heavenly Father wants me to.

The gospel has taught me to take particular care of my body, because it is the physical temple of my spirit. Our health code, “The Word of Wisdom”, guides me when making choices about how and what to eat, and about keeping my body fit and healthy. For example, while scientists debate whether or not red wine is good for you, I know that the best thing for me will be obedience to my Heavenly Father who has instructed me not to drink wine. I know that I have been blessed to heal quickly and recover well from the various illnesses and injuries that I have had, in part because I obey the Word of Wisdom. I have also promised to dress modestly, in order to demonstrate that I respect the sacred character of my body. I know that commitment has also blessed me with health and strength that I would not otherwise have had. I am grateful to Jessica Simpson for reminding me of the precious gift of my body. I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for providing guidance and blessings in caring for my body during my time here on earth.

Knoweth ye not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment